US confirms 15th case in Texas, global cases soar above 60,300

This is a live blog. Please check back for updates.

Total confirmed cases: More than 60,300
Total deaths: At least 1,369

2:04 pm: Top White House advisor says US disappointed with coronavirus response

The U.S. is “quite disappointed” with China’s response to the coronavirus outbreak, a top White House adviser said, criticizing Beijing for a lack of transparency. Speaking to reporters at the White House, National Economic Council Director Larry Kudlow said the Trump administration had thought there was better transparency than there has turned out to be. He also said the administration was very disappointed that Beijing had not accepted a U.S. invitation to send a team of experts from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help China in its efforts to contain the outbreak. In an interview last week with CNBC, Vice President Mike Pence had praised China’s transparency—Reuters with CNBC

1:34 pm: Airbnb suspends bookings in parts of China

Airbnb is suspending bookings in Beijing until May as the rapid spread of coronavirus prompts new local restrictions for the home-sharing giant. Customers who had reservations in Beijing between Feb. 7 and April 30 will be refunded, a spokesman for the travel start-up said, adding that the company was following local government guidance. Coronavirus presents a new headwind Airbnb, which is targeting this year for a long-awaited initial public offering. Bookings in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus, are suspended until March 31. In the Yongchuan district in Chongqing in central China and Wuxi, near Shanghai, there is a freeze until Feb. 20. The spread of the virus has roiled travel to China and elsewhere, driving down business travel and attendance at high-profile events. —Josephs

1:13 pm: Kraft Heinz says some China plants are still closed

Kraft Heinz CEO Miguel Patricio told Bloomberg that the food giant has closed some of its eight plants in China due to the outbreak. The company has already banned global employee travel to and from China. Kraft’s stock was recently down 7% after it reported declining sales during its fourth quarter and said it would delay the announcement of its turnaround plan until May. -Lucas

12:44 pm: Jeremy Siegel says coronavirus uncertainty is holding back the Dow from hitting 30,000

Longtime stock bull Jeremy Siegel told CNBC’s “Squawk Box”  the Dow Jones Industrial Average would easily crack 30,000 if it weren’t for the market uncertainty around the coronavirus outbreak. “If there is good news on this virus front, we would pop above 30,000 I think without question,” said the Wharton Finance professor, as stocks were falling. The Dow was still less than 2% away from 30,000. The Dow closed at a record of 29,551 on Wednesday. —Belvedere

12:35 pm:  Ralph Lauren expects coronavirus to be a bigger blow than it previously predicted 

High-end fashion retailer Ralph Lauren said it has closed about two-thirds of its stores in mainland China, saying that it expects a larger impact to its business in China and other parts of Asia than previously anticipated. It attributed the new outlook “to significantly reduced travel and retail traffic.” It said its fourth-quarter fiscal 2020 sales are expected to be hit by $55 million to $70 million, with operating income in Asia lowered by $35 million to $45 million. And it could become worse if the coronavirus outbreak widens. Earlier this month, Ralph Lauren had told analysts it had closed about half of its roughly 110 locations in China. It said China represents about 4% of its overall business. —Thomas

12:07 pm:  White House does not have ‘high confidence’ in China’s coronavirus data

The United States does “not have high confidence in the information coming out of China” regarding the count of coronavirus cases, a senior administration official told CNBC’s Eamon Javers. The official also noted that China “continues to rebuff American offers of assistance.” The New York Times reported last week that Chinese authorities had shown little interest in accepting help from the U.S. — Lovelace

11:35 am: WHO officials scramble to measure size of coronavirus epidemic: ‘How big is the iceberg?’

World health officials are scrambling to determine just how widespread the new coronavirus is as Chinese authorities reported a surge in new cases overnight after changing how it counts confirmed infections. “How big is the iceberg?” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the World Health Organization’s emergencies program, said at a news conference at the agency’s headquarters in Geneva. “We do know, and we all accept, that there is transmission occurring at some level in communities,” he said. “We’ve all seen those clusters, we’ve all seen those super spreading events. The question is how much is happening outside what we see?” — Lovelace

10:25 am: CDC confirms 15th US case in evacuee under quarantine at Texas military base

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed a 15th case in the U.S., a recent evacuee from Wuhan who was quarantined at the Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland in Texas. The U.S. evacuated roughly 800 Americans from Wuhan, more than 600 of which remain under quarantine at military facilities across the nation. Two other evacuees at a Marine Corps base near San Diego, California also have COVID-19, the CDC said Wednesday. “There will likely be additional cases in the coming days and weeks, including among other people recently returned from Wuhan,” the CDC said. — Feuer

9:51 am: WHO officials hold press conference on outbreak

World Health Organization officials are holding a press conference at 10 a.m. ET to update the public on the coronavirus outbreak, which has killed more people than the 2003 SARS epidemic. As of Thursday, more than 60,000 cases of coronavirus have been reported in over two dozen countries, resulting in least 1,300 deaths almost exclusively in China. The WHO declared the virus a global health emergency last month, a rare designation that helps the international agency mobilize financial and political support to contain the outbreak. The number of new cases appeared to be stabilizing until Thursday, when a change in how China defines cases led to a spike in confirmed cases in Hubei province, the epicenter of the outbreak. Watch the live press conference here. — Feuer

Medical staff receive a patient infected with the novel coronavirus at the temporary hospital converted from Wuhan Sports Center in Wuhan, central China’s Hubei Province, Feb. 12, 2020.

Xiao Yijiu | Xinhua News Agency | Getty Images

9:36 am: China’s Huanggang to seal apartments as it tightens virus control measures

China’s city of Huanggang, near the epicentre of the outbreak of the coronavirus, said that starting from Friday it would tighten epidemic control measures including sealing residential complexes and only allowing essential vehicles on roads. Food and the delivery of other essential goods will be arranged by designated personnel, the city said in a statement. — Reuters

8:59 am: HSBC cuts China economic growth forecast on coronavirus impact

HSBC said it’s lowered its first-quarter forecast for mainland China’s economic growth to 4.1% year-on-year from 5.8% due to the fallout from coronavirus. The bank also cut its China full-year growth forecast to 5.3% from 5.8%, adding the impact was already starting to be felt in tourism, trade, supply chains and elsewhere. HSBC lowered its full-year estimate for global growth to 2.3% from 2.5%, adding it expected the brunt of the impact in the first quarter, with some improvement as the year progresses. — Reuters

7:58 am: NYC small business chief: Chinatown hit hard because of fears over coronavirus

Small businesses located in New York’s Chinatown are losing customers over unsubstantiated fears of coronavirus, the city’s small business chief told CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” “Business owners are telling us revenues are down 40% in Chinatown,” said Gregg Bishop, commissioner of the Department of Small Business Services. “And it’s unfounded.” The city on Wednesday confirmed that the seven people suspected of having the virus in the city tested negative. –Bursztynsky

7:02 am: Princess Cruises says passengers can leave ship for quarantine in Japan as cases climb by 44

Japanese health officials are planning to move guests aboard a Princess Cruises ship to quarantine facilities in Japan as they confirm an additional 44 cases aboard the ship, the company said. Princess Cruises was told the “most medically vulnerable” guests will move in the first phase, including older adults with preexisting conditions. Japanese health officials will test guests before they disembark and transfer them to local hospitals if they are positive. Guests who are otherwise healthy will be transferred to a quarantine facility or can remain on board through the end of the quarantine period, the company said. The 44 new cases aboard the ship bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 infections to almost 220, making it the single biggest concentration of cases outside of China. — Kopecki

6:03 pm: Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi warns of first-quarter smartphone hit

The chief executive of smartphone maker Xiaomi said the the disruption caused by the coronavirus outbreak could impact first-quarter sales, but CEO Lei Jun said Thursday he believes demand will bounce back in the second and third quarters. “Due to the outbreak of (the) virus, this year’s first-quarter smartphone sales will face an impact, but we believe that in the second and third quarters they will strike back. Overall, the impact might not be that serious,” the CEO said, according to a translation of his comments from the company provided to CNBC’s Arjun Kharpal.

5:48 pm: Japan will spend 10.3 billion yen ($93.9 million) to fight the coronavirus, Abe says

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Thursday the Cabinet will decide on Friday to spend 10.3 billion yen from the country’s budget to respond to the coronavirus, Reuters reported. Steps to tackle the outbreak will total 15.3 billion yen, he added after a task force meeting.

5:26 pm: Travel slump spreads from China to Asia-Pacific region, data shows

The coronavirus is causing travel demand to slump across the whole Asia-Pacific region, according to data released by travel analytics firm ForwardKeys on Thursday, with the region seeing a 10.5% slowdown in outbound travel bookings for March and April, excluding trips to and from China and Hong Kong. As of Feb. 9, the setback looks likely to be most marked in northeast Asia, where outbound bookings for March and April are 17.1% behind where they were at the same time last year.

Read CNBC’s coverage from CNBC’s Asia-Pacific team overnight here: China confirms 15,152 new cases, 254 additional deaths. All times above are in Eastern time.

Reuters and CNBC’s Leslie JosephsAmelia LucasMatthew J. BelvedereLauren Thomas, Jessica Bursztynsky, Holly Ellyatt, Weizhen Tan and Christine Wang contributed to this article.

Comments are closed.